Last Updated on
*PetitePetsWorld strives to be a valuable resource for pet owners. We select and review all products independently; however, we may earn affiliate commissions when you buy through links on our site.
Having a hamster as a pet brings joy to you and your whole family. While they are adorable, friendly, and loving pets, they totally rely on our capacity to take the best care of them.
If you have already bought everything you might need to make the coziest of homes for your little pet, the next thing you should think about is to buy their bedding.
Setting up the perfect home for your hamster shouldn't be expensive—but the products should be suitable and high-quality!
In this article, we're going to go through the key features you should keep your eye out for when you're looking for the best bedding for your hamster.
Let's dive in!
Best bedding for hamsters
TOP 6 in 2020
When choosing the perfect bedding for your hamster, these are the most important features you should keep in mind:
• odor control
• suitability for burrowing
There are so many types on the market that, if you are not an expert, deciding what to buy can be tricky and a little intimidating.
We truly understand this, and we know that you want only the best for your pet, this is why we have researched and found for you the 6-best bedding for hamster on the market.
Kaytee Clean & Cozy White Small Animal Bedding
- Type: Long recycled fiber strands of paper
- Material: Long recycled paper fiber strands
- Capacity: Clean & Cozy bags can be found in a variety of measures (12.3L, 24.6L, 49.2L, 85L) so you can try it first!
- Absorbency: absorbs twice as much as wood shavings and up to 6 times as much as its weight in liquids.
- Odor control: this product is not only odor-free guaranteed but also comes in a variety of scents, to eliminate any extra unwanted odors.
Why Buy This Product:
Kaytee is one of the most trusted and renowned manufacturers of pet products, so you will always be on the safe side with them. The long-recycled paper fiber strands absorb twice as much as wood shavings, and they make sure that your pet is clean and dry throughout the day.
Just as importantly, the softness and fluffiness of this material encourage nestling and coziness, which is really important when it comes down to the comfort of your pet.
Your hamster will be able to feel at home and cuddled straight away after putting this bedding in their cages. Lastly, this material is 99% dust-free, which helps keep the cage cleaner and avoid respiratory problems.
+ It comes in a variety of different colors.
+ The bedding is scented to eliminate any extra unwanted odors
+ It is 99% dust-free to keep the cafe cleaner and avoid respiratory problems
+ It is completely safe for your pet
+ It absorbs twice as much as wood shavings
+ It is made with recycled paper strands, which makes it sustainable!
+ Cozy and Clean comes in a variety of different sizes.
- Some users found it too harsh for hairless rodents
- Some customers reported that this product does not expand as well as others.
- The company has recently changed the material used.
Small Pet Select Natural Paper Bedding
- Type: Virgin paper/plant fibers bedding
- Material: Pure unbleached never been printed paper shavings
- Capacity: This product comes in 17L, 58L, 176L bags
- Absorbency: Expands up to 3 times the size of the original bag
- Odor control: Reduces odors while not being scented.
Why Buy This Product:
If you are looking to buy the highest-quality product for your pet, this is it. Made only from virgin paper shavings and plant fiber, the material your hamster will live in is designed and produced only with its wellbeing in mind.
Moreover, if you prefer to let your hamster rest on all-natural bedding, this product is free of toxins, additives, and chemicals. Since it is also dust-free to help you keep the cage cleaner, both you and your pet will be extremely happy!
+ It is made without any chemicals or additives.
+ It is a food-grade standard.
+ Completely toxin-free.
+ Expands 3 times its original size.
+ It is incredibly soft.
+ Compact bags make storage easier.
+ 99.9% dust-free
- Some consumers have found it not suitable for rats.
- The company's customer service has been found not efficient by some users.
- Some users struggled with making the shavings fluffy after taking them out of the compressed bag.
Kaytee Clean & Cozy Extreme Odor Control
- Type: Hygienic products shavings
- Material: discarded remnants and trimmings from hygienic products
- Capacity: Each bag contains 32L, 40L, or 65L.
- Absorbency: Absorbs 6 times its weight in liquid, and it is highly expandable.
- Odor control: 14-day odor control guaranteed
Why Buy This Product:
It is one of the most efficient products on the market when it comes down to neutralizing ammonia odors, and it comes from one of our favorites, Kaytee!
These shavings are made from discarded remnants and trimmings from hygienic products, which, aside from being completely safe for your pet and 6 times as absorbent as normal shavings, are also incredibly good for the environment by reducing the amount of waste going into the landfill.
This product is completely safe for your pet, is 99% dust-free, and controls odors for up to 14 days.
+ This product eliminates odors for up to 14 days.
+ It is made with entirely sustainable materials.
+ It is completely safe for your pet
+ Absorbs 6 times its weight in liquids
+ It is almost 100% dust-free.
- It comes in only 3 sizes
- Has a strong scent some small pets might find disturbing
Vitakraft Fresh World Strength Crumble Bedding for Small Animals
- Type: Paper shavings bedding
- Material: 100% recycled paper
- Capacity: 975cu inches, and 2130cu inches
- Absorbency: expanding, it absorbs 3 times its own weight.
- Odor control: up to 14 days.
Why Buy This Product:
If you are looking for a product that is all-natural but still guarantees the highest comfort and burrowing opportunities to your hamster, this bedding made of 100% unbleached recycled paper crumbles is perfect for you.
This product does not contain baking soda, additives, or chemicals, it is over 99% dust-free, and control odors for up to 14 days.
Its unique formula is created to lock in the moisture and odors in the trimmings, so your hamster can be dry and clean for much longer!
+ It is 99.5% dust-free
+ It is completely natural and baking soda free
+ It is made with 100% unbleached recycled paper, which makes it highly sustainable.
+ Absorbs 3 times its weight, and it is highly expandable.
+ Made in the USA
+ It is biodegradable and compostable.
- It comes in only 2 measures
- Some smaller pets struggle to borrow with this product
Carefresh Small Pet Bedding
- Type: Natural Paper Bedding
- Material: 100% reclaimed natural fiber "comfy-fluff"
- Capacity: This product comes in packages of 10L, 14L, 23L, 30L, 50L. You can also buy a 4-pack of single-use 14L bags that will help you manage the bedding better.
- Absorbency: it is twice as absorbent as normal shavings.
- Odor control: 10 days of odor control guaranteed.
Why Buy This Product:
This product is excellent for a range of different pets, among which are hamsters. With this product, your pet will be able to burrow and nestled comfortably.
In fact, this product is made with unique "comfy-fluff" from 100% reclaimed natural fiber, which makes it much twice more absorbent and comfortable than regular shavings.
Each package comes with a 10 days odor control warranty based on a unique formula developed in the state-of-the-art labs of Carefresh. Due to the unique formula designed by this company, you won't find a similar product on the market.
+ Carefree designed a formula that makes this product unique on the market
+ The "comfy-fluff," sustainable material that this bedding is made out of, is much more absorbent and odor-free than normal shavings.
+ The material is low on dust which helps you keep the cage cleaner
+ It can be used for a variety of pets.
+ It comes in a variety of sizes and in 14L, single-use bags.
+ You can pick among many different colors.
- Some customers have found that there is an inconsistency when ordering a new bag.
Kaytee All-Natural Aspen Bedding
- Type: Aspen shavings - hardwood bedding.
- Material: Made with Aspen shavings, especially processed to eliminate all dust and debris.
- Capacity: 4cu ft, 8cu ft, 1200cu inches, 3200cu inches
- Absorbency: up to a week
- Odor control: depends on the size of your pet, usually up to a week.
Why Buy This Product:
If you are looking for a durable and completely natural bedding solution for your pet, this hardwood shavings' product will be loved by your hamsters.
Created by the prominent Kaytee, you can't go wrong with this bedding. While not as soft as paper shavings, this bedding is much more durable and makes sure that your pet is clean and dry throughout the week.
Moreover, if you believe in keeping your pet away from harmful chemicals and additives, this natural product will make the cage smell fresh and natural at all times!
+ It is completely natural
+ It can be used in aquariums as well.
+ It does not include any ink or aromatic oils.
+ 100% safe for your pet
- The wood shavings might be too hard for some more delicate pets.
- It might not absorb as much as paper shavings.
The Basics of Hamster Bedding
To help you sort out of the most important features when comparing bedding products for your hamster, the type of bedding you get will help your hamster lead the most natural (and best) life.
The top features to look out for will be that it:
1. Is highly absorbent with wet material including urine and dropped water.
2. Has quality odor control—especially if 'you're planning on keeping the cage in the house or in a bedroom.
3. Is gentle and designed for fragile skin and fur of the hamster.
4. Is allergen-, dust-, and chemical-free! These three features can really make a difference in the comfort and health of your pet and the rest of your family.
5. Is comfortable for your hamster and connects it to its natural habitat (can change depending on the type of hamster you have).
You definitely want to keep in mind the depth of the possible nesting area of your hamster.
Especially since the hamster is a burrowing creature, you'll want the nest to replicate it. Although you might not have the full 3-foot depth that most wild hamsters are used to, 2.5-3 inches of possible burrowing depth can be enough to make your pet feel comfortable and safe.
Some features to avoid when shopping for hamster bedding would be:
Pine and Cedar Wood Shavings: These types of wood tend to chip off and splinter into sharp, potentially harmful pieces that can do more hurt than good. Not only are these shavings injury or infection-causing, but they can also release toxic fumes when reacting to your 'hamster's urine.
Fluffy bedding made from Artificial Fibers: Even though this might sound heavenly for your hamster, they can also be harmful or even deadly if ingested. They can also get tangled in the bedding, which can lead to injuries.
Cat Litter: Another potentially dangerous material, cat litter is hard to digest and can be uncomfortable for smaller feet if your hamster is particularly small.
Scented Bedding Products: Anything scented can cause respiratory problems with your hamster because of the chemicals in its composition.
Corn Cob: Although sold in multiple pet stores as a reliable source of bedding, corn cob doesn't actually work well with your 'hamster's digestion and can often lead to mold in the cage.
Newspaper Clippings: You might think that this can be an inexpensive way to line your hamster's cage. However, the inky chemical residue on the page can be poisonous to your hamster.
Sawdust: A respiratory enemy for your hamster.
So, what can and should you buy for your hamster's bedding?
Now that you know what not to buy let's focus on the best types of material for your hamster.
You want the bedding to be
- Highly absorbent
- Able to control odors
- Gentle on your hamster's feet
- Allergen-, dust-, and chemical-free
With these features in mind, these are your best options:
1. Commercial hamster bedding: you can find many kinds of commercial hamster bedding to suit the needs of your hamster. Most types of bedding are made from cellulose or other plant-based fibers.
They are safe, and they often have superior qualities compared to other types of bedding. They are designed to have excellent absorption and to mimic the natural habitat of your hamster. These types of bedding materials are also soft and comfortable to your hamster as well as chemical and dust-free. This type of bedding should be your number one choice if you're looking for the best bedding for your hamster. You will find our recommendations above.
2. Aspen Shavings: Although pine and cedar are quite sharp and dangerous for your hamster to have in their bed, Aspen creates not only a natural look and feel, they are quite soft and safe for hamster bedding. It's also important to note that you should only use Aspen shavings that you buy from a store since 'they're treated to remove mites and other insects.
Aspen wood also creates a minimum amount of dust and is quite dense—making it great for burrowing.
3. Paper: For a temporary solution or a cheaper, inexpensive option, paper that is non-toxic is a good choice. However, you should know that 'it's not the best at absorbing smells.
The Process of Preparation
Once you've decided on the type of bedding for your hamster, it's time to figure out the proper process of preparation.
Make sure the cage is clean and wash it with a mild detergent if needed. If you have bought a commercially packaged wood shavings or other bedding material, you can pour 2.5-3-5 inches of bedding to cover the bottom of the cage.
If, however, you have bought wood shavings that have not been commercially packaged, you may want to take some precautions.
Before you lay the bedding in your hamster's cage, you should make sure that it's clean and has a low chance of bringing any kind of harm to your hamster. The process behind the last clean sweep is quite simple:
All you need to do is put the new bedding in a bag, place it in the freezer and keep it there for two days—around 48 hours. Especially if you 'don't buy a specialized wood chipping, this can help kill all the mites and insects. Once you take it out, defrost it until it reaches regular room temperature before putting in your hamster's cage.
FAQ on bedding for hamsters
Before you buy and place in your hamster's cage, here are a few last-minute questions you may have about the best hamster bedding for your little guy:
We hope that these reviews were helpful in deciding which is the best bedding for your pet.
The wellbeing of your hamster is in your hands, and it's up to you to provide a safe and comfortable environment for your beloved pet. These bedding materials will definitely keep your hamster happy!
*Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. That means we receive a small commission from Amazon if you should decide to purchase a product through our link - but don’t worry, you won’t be charged any extra for it.
We only recommend products we truly believe are of value to you, and we believe in ourselves. Our goal is to make this site a truly valuable resource for all pet owners.